Monday 12 January 2015

Pom-Pom Blooms


I begin this post with an explanation.  I feel like writing about how my life has shifted somewhat since hearing about the tragic news of Vanessa's passing.  As if I have been hit with a brick, I am suddenley accutely aware that time is passing, that life is fragile.  And I have been seizing the day so to speak, I have been choosing to do things that I have put off, I have been immersing myself in small creative moments that are bringing huge amounts of pleasure.

Last night, I took down the big polystyrene wreath that was half adorned with colourful pom-poms  (carefully taking out all the pins) and put them on the floor.  What a beautiful sight! So jolly and bright, and such a shame for them to sit on top of the cupboard, attached to that sad, half finished wreath that wouldn't see the light of day again until at least November.  We started this project before Christmas, my daughter and I, but sadly time got the better of us, and I think we also ran out of steam a little on the pom-pom making front so it was never completed

Last week whilst out shopping, I had randomly picked up a copy of Landscape Magazine, because there was an article about Cornwall in it, and a photograph of The Driftwood Spars in St Agnes, with a view of the sea beyond which caught my eye, and made me catch my breath, and so I went and bought it.  I say 'randomly' because I have perhaps only ever bought this particular magazine once before; I tend to buy interiors magazines if I'm splurging.  Anyway, once home I poured myself a hot cuppa and settled down to have a read - and what a lovely magazine it is too!  It was here that I stumbled across a tutorial for making pom-pom blooms, and of course this idea percolated for a day or so until I found myself with a spare half hour in which to have a go at making some.


They are ridiculously easy and quick to make - I simply wound a length of wool around the centre of all my pom-poms and tied them to some old twigs I had stashed away (I think they last made an appearance as an Easter decoration in a jug).  And now, I have three glorious glass bottles, ablaze with delightful balls of woolly colour!


Here are a couple on the table, cheering me up whilst I work!

It's a rather miserable day here, with feisty winds and turbulent grey skies, so these bright blooms are just the ticket to lift the spirits!



I am also making great headway with a crochet WIP which I've had on the go for almost two years now.  I'm finally on the edging, which is an exciting moment in itself as it signifies the end is near.  This blanket is going to be for my daughter.


After this, I hope to finish my shawl and two other blankets that I've got on the go.  It is my intention to infuse life with a little creative time, to help me unwind and relax at the end of every day.  I realise many of you do this as a matter of course, but I am afraid to say I have neglected my hooks for a long while now, and it's time to make amends.

I am also getting back into the swing of painting after a long, and busy Christmas holiday.  I have a couple of commissions on the horizon, as well as some work to do for some greetings card companies, so I'm keeping very busy.

I also have a new Offers section in my gallery shop, which is where I am now selling some of my original artwork at more affordable prices.  I have decided I need to make some space in my tiny house for new work which has to be done and dearly hope these lovely paintings will eventually find lovely new homes to go to!  You are welcome to take a look at the paintings available here.

Believe it or not, I'm currently painting robins! It's a fickle thing this illustrator's calendar, as we work against the seasons, painting Christmassy things in winter and spring, and easter chicks in autumn!  Once these are done, I am hoping to start work on some new small paintings, which I will keep you posted about here.

Have a lovely week all of you, thank you for coming to see me today xxx

6 comments:

  1. Love the pompoms Julia! :) I saw a string of them in a shop window at Christmas time and I loved them so much, I must get around to making some. You're right, they are so cheery to look at on dull dark days like today.
    PS.. love the new blue hair! :)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A splash of colour in dull dark January is just what everybody needs - when you are busy working for yourself & immersed in family life it's so easy to forget about the simple pleasures - it's really important to find those few minutes each day to do something you love doing that is just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia,I was just looking on your site to see if you had any calendars,thought I would hop over to your blog.Was reading and saw you mentioned St.Agnes,I live in St.Agnes it is a beautiful place to live,I have just posted a few pics on my blog.I love all your work.You have reminded me I must buy a pom pom maker lol.Happy Creating.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures and very nice ideas.
    Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julia. I made a Pom Pom tree a couple of years ago. You can see it on the sidebar of my blog. My husband made a tree out of copper wire and I put pom-poms on it. I like the twig idea too though and I think I'll make some of those.
    I love the colors on your afghan. Yes, life is short and we don't know how long we're going to be on this beautiful earth. It is best to make the most out of every moment. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.
    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thank you for visiting my Blog today. If you would like to leave a comment, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...