Thursday, 19 June 2014
A trip to the antiques quarter in Sheffield last week ended up with a rather exciting aquisition being made. For a while now I've been waiting to find a nice stool for my small kitchen - it's too tiny for tables and chairs and sometimes when I'm cooking and folks are over for food I think to myself, 'well, it would be nice for them if they had somewhere to sit and natter while I stir and chop things!' and just last week I stumbled upon a little gem that was just the job.
Tucked away under a great big farmhouse table in a muddle of vintage kitchenalia, the little stool waited. It had been painted a soft sage green, which, by some serendipitous miracle is the same shade as my kitchen cupboards so it rather felt like it was all meant to be, me finding this stool. It's a rather smart stool too, hailing from Sweden, and has a broad circular seat of generous proportions, and nicely turned legs (it sounds like a rather lovely lady, doesn't it?).
But something was missing...it needed that little something extra to make it well and truly fit into our colourful little house. So I made it a little seat cover.
I used Rico Cotton DK to make the cover in random colours, most of which were leftovers from a cushion I made some time ago. This is a pretty reasonably priced yarn, and good to work with in that it doesn't split too much. There's also a great range of bright colours available too. The pattern is just a simple circle pattern which I found in the Happy Hooker crochet book, but I'm sure you can find this method online too. To secure the cover I just began to decrease the rows once I was sure the top was adequately covered and it seemed to turn out ok and fitted quite well (even though the decreasing part was very much a wing it and see sort of process).
I'm now making a slouchy summer hat, using this beautiful yarn from Begere de France here in a stunning summery turquoise blue, called Oxygene.
Thanks so much for stopping by, see you again soon.